What Certificates Do I Need to Sell My House?

13th September 2019

We’re not going to lie – selling your home can be a stressful experience. Between finding a great estate agent, staging your home in all its splendour and organising viewings, there’s a lot to organise, not to mention the paperwork. The certificates, documents and paperwork required play a key part in the house selling process, and therefore, it’s important that you stay on top of them, and that they are filled out correctly. Therefore, we’ve created this handy blog that outlines everything you’ll need to fill in, and advice on how to do so.


Proof Of Identity

This includes important documentation such as:

Driving License.
Proof of Address (found on utility bills or a bank statement).

Your passport and driving license are important as forms of photo ID prove you are who you say you are. If you don’t have a driving license, you could apply for a provisional license, which will also include a photo.


Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An EPC is a certificate that shows how energy-efficient your property is and includes information, such as estimated energy costs, recommendations on measures that would make your home more energy-efficient and a summary of your home’s energy performance-related features. You’ll also be provided with estimated costs for implementing the changes and the potential savings you could make.

Your house will be given an energy-efficiency rating between A and G, with A being the best – ie most energy-efficient – and G being the worst. There is no hiding from this, as not only is it a legal requirement to have an EPC before you sell a house, but the EPC register – the government’s online database of every EPC in the UK – means that potential buyers can see your house’s rating, potentially swaying their decision. Therefore, putting the recommendations into action are always a safe bet. Depending on the property, typical recommendations include:

Insulation for the roof, floor, loft and walls, which reduces the need for heating.
Double glazing, which keeps more heat within the house.
Low-energy lighting, which is better for the environment, and helps to further reduce your bills.

You can find a sample EPC here, which is filled out by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor.


Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)

The TA10 indicates what fixtures and fittings will be included in the sale of your home, broken down on a room by room basis. Including items such as the fridge, freezer, cooker, hob, dishwasher, tumble dryer and the garden shed, it also outlines:

The items that won’t be included.
The items that don’t exist within the house.


The document is pretty self-explanatory, with helpful instructions that can be found here.


Property Information Form (TA6)

An extensive form which asks questions on topics including:

Boundaries: Who will be responsible for the upkeep of the fence or hedge?
Disputes and Complaints: Including any disputes with neighbours and the council.
Guarantees and Warranties: This covers the building itself, as well as additions, such as a new roof or an extension, for example.
Insurance: Giving the potential buyer an idea of how much it’ll likely cost to insure the property and whether there are any anomalies.
Connection to Utilities and Services: Outlines the current gas, electricity and water suppliers of the property and the location of the relevant meters.
Transaction Information: Including, whether, as a seller, you are also looking to buy another property. It will also include any special requirements around moving dates.


Your estate agent and solicitor can help you to fill this out, and a sample of a TA6 can be found here.


Property Title Deeds

To sell your home, you need the original property title deeds, as they state the chain of ownership of your home. If you can’t find your deeds, you can check whether your deeds are digitally registered with the HM Land Registry under your name.


It’s also possible that the solicitor you used when you bought the house, or the mortgage lender that you used (if applicable) may have a copy to.


Electrical Certificates

You’ll also need to supply potential buyers with electrical safety certificates, including those related to rewiring or electrical replacements. An electrician should also be able to give you a building regulations compliance certificate for you to give to the next homeowners.


Replacement Boiler Certificate

If you or a prior homeowner have replaced the boiler, then you’ll need to pass along the gas safe certificate or CORGI. If you can’t find this, potential buyers may request that you have it serviced, to therefore provide them with the documentation they require.


Other Certificates, Documentation And Paperwork That May Be Required:

These include important paperwork, such as:

Leasehold Documents.
Shared Freehold Documents.
FENSA Certificates For Windows And Doors.
Alterations And Extension Documentation.


For more information on any of the information contained within this blog post, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today on one of the following numbers:

Radcliffe: 0161 723 1155

Burnley: 01282 427 445

Greenmount: 01204 882233

Ramsbottom: 01706 48 9966

Request a Valuation

Our Valuation

How much is your home worth? Enter some details for your free onscreen valuation.

Start Now